Information for Researchers
Tata Central Archives (TCA) holds a sizeable number of Archival Records pertaining to the genesis and development of the Tata group and on Indian industrialisation.
Consultation sessions must be scheduled in advance and supervised by the Archivist or an official representative of TCA. We request that you schedule your visit only once you have received written confirmation from the Archives.
Researchers and academics who wish to consult our Records can contact us via email, post or by filling in our online Research Scholar Registration Form.
The Research Scholar Registration Form should be submitted along with a photo identity proof and a letter of introduction from the respective institution or organisation.
TCA does not apply the rules of access uniformly. We do not risk harming the Tata organisation or violating the privacy rights of individuals within our company. More broadly, TCA acts as gatekeepers to Records of ongoing business value to our companies. While we are sympathetic to the needs of historians and academic researchers, TCA will not act in a manner that is detrimental to the Tata organisation and its reputation. TCA takes into consideration the intent of the individual accessing the Records when we make a decision about whether to permit access to certain Records. This is why most outside requests are handled on a case-by-case basis.
TCA is open to researchers from Monday to Friday from 10a.m. to 5p.m.
We are closed on all public holidays.
Holiday List 2017
|Ramzan Id (Id-Ul-Fitar)
|Parsi New Year (Shahenshahi)
|Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti
|Diwali Amavasya (Laxmi Pujan)
Tata Central Archives
Tata Management Training Centre Campus,
1, Mangaldas Road, Pune 411001,
Phone: (+91-20) 6609-2016
Consultation and other expenses
Please contact the Archivist for information on the Research fee and cost for obtaining photocopies or scanned copies of Records.
- Security personnel have the right to examine any bags or items you bring with you.
- All non-essential belongings including coats, bags, purses, backpacks, briefcases, computer carrying cases, must be checked with staff.
- Photography and videography is strictly prohibited.
- Use of mobile phones and digital cameras must be approved and monitored by the Archivist.
- No food or drinks are allowed at the Research desk.
- Smoking and littering is strictly prohibited in the building and Campus.
- Use of portable storage devices such as pen drives, external hard drives, etc., are strictly prohibited.
- The use of pens is not allowed, as they can damage the records. Pencils will be provided upon request. Gloves may also be provided, if deemed necessary due to the nature of the material.
- Where possible, digital copies of Records will be provided.
- When original Records are provided, please note: Archival material is highly fragile and vulnerable to improper handling. To minimize any damage, original documents must remain on the desk and separate from researcher’s notes. Documents must not be marked, rearranged, removed from their folders, or taken out of the Reading Room. Only one box at a time will be delivered; researchers should look through records one folder at a time, maintaining the order in which they were received. Researchers are requested to notify the Archivist if anything appears to be out of order; do not rearrange them yourself.
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure permission to publish, reprint, or reproduce materials from the Archives. The researcher assumes responsibility for conforming to the laws of libel and copyright. One gratis copy of any publication resulting from extensive research or including documents held at the Archives must be deposited at the Tata Central Archives.
- TCA recognises their responsibility to promote the use of Records as a fundamental purpose of the keeping of archives. TCA may place restrictions on access for the protection of privacy or confidentiality of information in the Records.
- Please be advised that the publication or reproduction of any material provided by TCA is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent. All references to materials in the collections should be acknowledged as “Courtesy Tata Central Archives.”
The TCA Rules and Regulations can be downloaded by clicking on the following link.