Tata Central Archives (TCA) has invested in state-of-the-art infrastructure and archival systems, in order to preserve the invaluable Tata-related Archival Records in our custody.
Storage and Maintenance
- Climate control in the repositories: A HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air conditioning) system maintains controlled conditions of temperature and humidity for the collections.
- Archival management system: The latest archival management software ensures proper retrieval and dissemination of data.
- Server: The repository has two dedicated servers and a tape library for data backup. A scalable storage system is in place to meet the storage requirements of all the digitised data.
- Compactors: State-of-the-art compactors for enhanced storage space in the repositories, house the original Records.
- Water leak detection systems: Advanced leak detection systems send out a warning in case of leakage or flooding, ensuing minimal damage to the Records.
- Fire suppression systems: TCA has installed a Novec gas-based fire suppression system in its repositories. Novec gas as a retardant and suppressant, protects our archival collections (papers, photographs, etc.) and people from lasting and sustained damage due to fire.
- Portable fire extinguishers with clean agents: All fire extinguishers within the TCA premises use clean agents (electrically non-conductive gaseous extinguishers), that do not leave a residue upon evaporation. These are positioned at strategic locations within the building. They are the preferred choice in museums, libraries and other places with valuable documents.
Security and Surveillance
The archival material is of great evidential and historical value, and TCA has taken various steps to ensure that access to these Records are restricted and monitored.
- Access control and computerised key management systems: To ensure maximum security and monitor access within the premises, access control with biometric systems are in place. A computerised key management system maintains a records of personal who have access to key locations within the premises.
- CCTV cameras: Strategically placed cameras throughout the premises ensure that all movement within and around the building is monitored at all times.
Power Saving Initiatives
As an initiative to reduce our carbon footprint, we have undertaken steps to save power and contribute towards a greener world. We are in the process of applying for the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) certification.
- Power saving VRF air conditioning units: The exhibition galleries and administration offices have energy-efficient machines.
- LED installations: We have upgraded to energy efficient LED light fixtures in and around the premises.
- Solar panels: Solar panels on the roof, provide an alternative source to meet some of our power requirements.
- Generator: A diesel back-up generator meets the power requirements of our operations.